Thursday, June 1, 2017

Working Girl

As I have shared multiple times in my stories; I was not supposed to speak two languages, I was not supposed to 'learn' in a traditional classroom, let alone go to college, I was not intended to do many things.But, as all of you know, I do not like being told what I can and cannot do.
I welcome a challenge.
So when a Supervisory position opened up at my job I instantly jumped at the opportunity. I knew that the job would be demanding and that I would be tested every day but that didn't scare me. What did scare me, however, was not applying because that I would regret it forever.
With the encouragement of loved ones, I applied for the position of Supervisor of Gateway for the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay. I had my interview on March 24th, what followed were three weeks of anxiousness. I knew that there had been other internal candidates and I was told that they may also consider external applicants. I was freaking out!! I became more nervous as my April vacation neared.I was going to be unreachable for seven days, and I did not want to walk into the office on my return with a surprise be it good or not. 
So when the then manager of the program approached me and told me that he wanted to speak to me by the end of the day on April 5th, I became even more nervous. I went into his office, but he said that since it was a nice day we should go for a walk around the building. I took a deep long breath and followed him outside. 
In that 30 minute conversation, my former manager offered me the position of Supervisor for Gateway! I accepted it right away, of course!
Not bad for someone that was once told that she would not be able to do much in life! 

I would now like to take some time to tell all those that never believed in me, a little message.....but I am almost sure they do not read my blog. But just in case they happen to stumble across it and decide to read it....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment