Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Thoughts on "Wonder"

The first time I saw the movie trailer for " Wonder" I cried. I cried because I saw a reflection of myself in the main character. I cried because it hurt seeing my childhood on the big screen. My mom hugged me and said, " I know." She knew precisely what was going through my mind and what I was feeling. Finally, the world will get a glimpse of how I felt as a child; they will a feel a slither of a fraction of what I have felt my entire life.
I do not know exactly what effect this movie will have overall but what I do know is that I am not the only person in the world that has walked a similar path that Auggie has.  I have felt and at times still, do feel shunned because of my looks. Like Auggie, I have felt that classmates have avoided touching me for fear of contracting NF.
I have yet to see the movie, but I did read the book over the Christmas holiday. I got choked up before finishing the first paragraph. I cried, laughed and got angry while reading "Wonder." For being fiction, it was very truthful and heartfelt.
 I know and understand why my godmother called to tell me her daughters kept saying that Auggie reminded them of me because he was a brave little kid that looks different and has had a tough life. My little cousins, Camila and Daniela, are two of the sweetest and loving girls I know to them I am their older cousin that just happens to look a little different. To them, I am beautiful, smart and funny. I know this because they tell me each time I see them. So when my Godmother called me and put the phone on speaker so I could talk to Cami and Dani after they saw the movie I knew their comments and comparisons came from a loving place.
So, I think that "Wonder" will open up a lot of conversations at home for parents and it is my wish that parents take this opportunity to teach their children about how diverse humans can be.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment