Thursday, February 3, 2022

Post 23, part 1

 I am officially two weeks and a day post-surgery; I honestly cannot believe it has already been 15 days since I had surgery! I spent a week in the hospital. Six days were in the ICU and one day in a standard room; this was the longest I have spent in the hospital following an operation, I usually leave the hospital on day two post-op, but this time was different. 

1-19-2-22, before surgery

January 19, 2022 Surgery day


I arrived at Moffitt at 5:15 am to register and prepare for the surgery; I was wheeled into the OR by 7:15 am, and surgery began at 8:35 am. Due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, my mom was the only one allowed in the waiting room. I cannot begin to imagine how my mom felt being alone in the waiting room. Yes, she kept in contact with family and friends, but still, I would have liked for her to have someone else accompany her while I was in surgery. By 4 pm, I was wheeled into recovery.


My first memory after coming to is of being in a dim room and having my mom next to me. I was unable to speak and in pain. My mom explained that I had a tracheostomy which prevented me from speaking. I recall pain on my left leg and an overall heaviness on the right side of my face and neck. I kept coming in and out of consciousness that night. At one point, my mom left, and my dad came and spent the rest of the night with me. My dad later told me that I kept asking him to rub ice on my chapped lips; I have very little recollection of asking him to do this; however, I recall having him right next to me and holding my hand. 


On Thursday morning, my dad explained that that surgeon had placed the tracheostomy as a preventive measure; due to the surgery, there was a possibility that the swelling could extend down my neck, which could cause difficulty in breathing. The trach was a second layer of defense in case I could not breathe on my own. Thankfully, there were no complications with my breathing. Despite understanding the reason behind the trach, I wanted it out! I was in constant discomfort. I used pen and paper to communicate because I could not speak. Drinking and eating were also challenging. I was not happy. 


 Friday, January 21


One of my doctors placed a cap on the trach; this allowed me to speak. Of course, the first question I asked was when the trach was being removed; of course, my doctor had no specific date but said soon. I was thankful to be able to speak once again. However, my voice at first was weak and sounded robotic. Even though I could talk with the cap on the trach, eating and drinking remained a challenge; to do either, I had to tuck my chin to facilitate swallowing. Additionally, the right side of my face is swollen from my temple down my cheek to the nape of my neck; this means I cannot chew on the right side.


 Monday, January 24


Finally, one of my doctors walked into my room at 7:15 am and removed the tracheostomy! You have no idea how happy and relieved I was! I immediately noticed my voice improve, drinking and eating also enhanced. It has taken about a week for me to gain full vocal strength. 



Check out part 2 for the continuation of my post-surgery progress...

2 comments:

  1. Hope all is well, You have not posted anything in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    Thank you for commenting. I am not sure what you are referring too as I have published seven posts since this one was posted in February.

    ReplyDelete