Monday, May 16, 2016

An NF Solider


In the Summer of 2014, I had the great pleasure of meeting Kim, a seemingly average woman living with NF, but there is nothing ordinary about this woman.  Kim is a retired  U.S. Military Veteran.
Did I blow your mind?
You may ask yourself, how a woman living with a debilitating and progressive disease served her country for 20 years? The answer is astonishingly simple: sheer determination  For 20 years Kim devoted her life to the Air Force, working in supply and training.
Kim and brothers, taken from her Facebook
To date, Kim has not needed to have surgeries to treat her condition. She is a vibrate, sweet and tenacious individual. 
When I asked her if I could write a post about her because I found her inspirational her response was, " That's awesome, but I really don't consider myself a super hero...just trying to do my best." 
Kim does her best to not allow NF to win, she says that she may not have many tumors but does have, ".. the things that are not visible," of the disease.
" It takes me a little longer to get things, some words are harder for me to pronounce, I take medicine to help me stay focused." 
Her hobby of taking pictures has turned into a very successful business with quite a following. Kim's keen eye for photography can be seen in not only family portraits but also in community events, including this year's Cupid's Undie Run in St. Petersburg.   
I find Kim an inspiration because she just brings so much joy and simplicity to life. In the two years, I have known Kim she has made me realize that life is not a race and that I do not need to prove others wrong. I simply need to live for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment