Friday, October 11, 2019

Not Funny...I say, Yes

A few days ago, at a family dinner, my sister-in-law Rosie asked, " Who has eyes on Tay?" I responded with, " Don't worry, between all of us, there are  13 eyes on her."  She just looked at me and started laughing.
Another time, my cousins and I were playing drunk Jenga ( I do not know how else to call it) when the block I pulled read, "become a pirate, play with one eye closed." I immediately started laughing uncontrollably, my cousin Felipe looked at me and asked what was so funny, so I showed him, and he too began to laugh.

I share these two anecdotes because they accurately demonstrate how I take on life. When I make comments like the ones above, I am not doing it to belittle myself; in reality, it's the contrary, I am entirely comfortable in my skin.  Yes, of course, I would love to see from both eyes, but then again, how can I miss something I've never had?
It took me a better part of my life to truly love my body and see myself as beautiful. I have never had the confidence that I have now as an adult. Ten years ago, I would never make jokes about my poor vision or my prosthetic eye.  One of my favorite sayings is, " three eyes are better than two." I take great pleasure when I get a shocked reaction from the receiving end of my statement. Most people do not know how to react, so they just laugh nervously. 
Now, don't be mistaken, there's a big difference between being rude and disrespectful and being playful when making comments concerning my NF, physical appearance, or anything else for that matter; and trust me when I say I can tell the difference way before you even finish speaking and I will let you know whether or not I approve.
I learned at a pretty young age that if I demonstrate self-confidence, then that will transfer over to others that may not necessarily know how to interact with me because they feel uncomfortable.  I will never apologize to someone that feels uneasy in my presence or accommodate into someone/something I am not for their comfort, and that includes the words that come out of my mouth.








9 comments:

  1. There's this quote that says "If you can laugh at yourself, you are going to be fine. If you allow others to laugh with you, you will be great". I think that sums up a bit of how you face this. Just found out about your blog through SBSP and I just love your attitude. I'd like you to know that the way you live your life is really inspiring. A big hug from your newest brazilian reader. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, saw you on youtube. You're a very likeable person and I only became aware of some issues after you had mentioned them. Have a good one, Dan Hotchin (phx,az)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan,
      Thank you for watching my interview on SBSK and reading my post(s). I hope you are having a fabulous 2020! Take care

      Delete
  3. Realmente no sé qué decir lo único que puedo decir es que lamentó que te haya tocado esa situación ese destino o lo que sea y también te felicito porque a pesar de lo que sea te mantienes en ese margen existencial mucha gente por menos de eso se suicida Y eso es es peor que lo qué no soportas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I saw your YouTube interview about yourself and NF. I also have it. I have a mild form of it. I have some visible fibromas on my jawline and other parts of my body blotches, discoloration and growths under my skin. Sometimes it hurts. My dad's is more severe. My brother has it too. He has a large area on his head that you can visibly see a growth. Surgery didn't help him much. I don't like having it but I lived with it my whole life so it did not really affect my quality of life. Sometimes I forget I have it. Not because I choose to but it's so much a part of me. I have other health problems as well. Don't let NF stop you. You be you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon,
      Thank you so much for reading and commenting, I greatly appreciate it!I agree with you,sometimes I forget I have it too, NF is part of me but it does not define me!

      Delete