Thursday, November 16, 2023

The Culprit is Gone

One month post-up, and I feel amazing. Recovery from this surgery has been so different when compared to my traumatizing previous surgery. With this one, there was no ICU and, most importantly, no trach. In recovery, as a nurse checked my vitals and dressing, she asked how I was feeling. I nonchalantly  responded with, " I am good, but the doctor didn't give me boobs." The nurse stopped what she was doing, pausing to ensure I was okay before laughing. I followed up by saying, "So if you were giving me a neurological test, I just passed it, right?" This time, she continued working on me and said, " Yes, yes, you did." 

By 8pm on 10/16/23, I was transported to my room. Unlike my previous surgery, I was cleared to consume clear liquids. After 20 hours of not eating, I wanted to put food in my stomach, but unfortunately, the cafeteria was closed. Thankfully, my friend Pachy, who had accompanied my parents in the waiting room during my surgery, offered to get us food. That evening, I had the most delicious wonton broth. After my friend left, I settled down ( as much as possible, given I was in a hospital bed) and attempted to sleep. I was surprised that I could sleep on and off throughout the night, only waking to readjust and when the nurses would check my vitals. 

Early the next morning, Tuesday, 10/17/2023, Dr. Tran walked into my room as I fell asleep and enthusiastically announced that I would be going home by the afternoon as long as I continued to progress. Challenge accepted! Since I had been tolerating water and broth, I was cleared for a regular diet; I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, and tea for breakfast! Later that morning, after I had consumed my first real meal in 48 hours, my nurse came into my room for my morning exercise. I knew that if I did well on my loop around the nurses' station, I would get brownie points, and the chances of being released would increase, so I did two loops. I know I am an overachiever. 

Shortly after lunch, my nurse walked into my room with a huge smile and informed me that I would be released that day! Both my surgeons and Dr. Yasukawa ( with infectious disease) signed my discharge paperwork. I was only being held back by the hospital pharmacy for my medication; other than that, I was set to go. I made it home just in time for the evening news! 

For the last four weeks, whenever I have been asked how I am feeling, I have responded with, " I feel like me again." My family and friends who have seen me have shared my sentiment, adding that my entire face changed, including my facial expressions. Even though I still have facial paralysis and a skin graft that protrudes, for the first time in almost two years, I like the image that stares back at me in the mirror. 

Now that the mesh is gone and there are no open wounds, I can focus on other aspects of my life, such as renewing my Colombian passport to visit my family! I honestly do not know how I pulled myself together enough to pass my first semester of graduate school with two A's because the level of depression and anxiety that I was going through was severe.  I would like to think that I managed work, grad school, chronic infection/wounds, and my mental health because I have a whole lot more self-awareness than I did in my twenties and because I reached out to my people when I needed to talk. Whatever the reason that has gotten me through these last 20 months, I am grateful and thankful and pray for continued strength because I know this was a battle win, but there is much more to come. I am ready!



1 comment:

  1. Llena de admiración por ti como toda la vida, Nine hermosa. La vida te sigue mandando pruebas y tú las sigues vendiendo con gracia y determinación de acero. Qué periodo tan difícil debo haber sido este para ti pero que felicidad saber que esté dando paso a uno nuevo que traiga más paz y menos resistencia. Un abrazote gigante y muchas vibras sanadoras 💗✨ eres la más de todas las máses!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete