Thursday, July 5, 2012

I have NF


I was born with Neurofibromatosis type one. I've had over a dozen surgeries to correct my birth defect, and I'm blind from my right eye. I couldn't have written it any less bluntly, but there's no other way of saying it. It's the truth, and there's no sugar coating. I recently turned 25 and have realized that despite having NF it does not define me by any means. Yes, my physical appearance is not typical but then again is there such a thing as 'normal' nowadays? For a long time, I used to think that having NF would prevent me from having a productive life due to not having a 'normal' physical appearance. I had my first surgery when I was 8 days old to relieve the pressure that Congenital Glaucoma caused due to  NF, and at 18 I had my seventeenth surgery to correct some bone growth abnormalities that once again was caused by my NF. When I was a little girl, I would pray to God that I would wake up one day and my face and right eye would be beautiful and even on both sides. I wanted to not have Neurofibormatosis because growing up with this disease was not easy and still now as an adult, I face difficulties that the average person does not and will never face.
During my school years, I was bullied not only for having a facial deformity but also for having a petite figure. In second grade a classmate of mine made a comment about my eye color and how ugly I looked. Since I had lost my eyesight in my right eye at a very young age, my eye color had drastically changed from being hazel to almost black. I have always had a small frame, and that has come at a price, I was once accused by a girl in one of my classes that I was anorexic because I was thin and she was not.
When I was in seventh grade, I received a note from several classmates that were folded in three, on the top flap it read " A closer look at Angela" when I opened the paper completely there was a drawing of a monster. I remember looking at the picture for a couple of seconds, and all I could hear was their giggling. I took the note and threw it in the garbage can; needless to say that as soon as school let out and my mom picked me up from school, I burst into tears. My years in middle school were the hardest years for me, I spent most of my sixth -eighth-grade years crying and not wanting to go to school. I looked forward to Fridays and hated Sundays. Thinking about it now still, makes me want to cry.
Once I reached high school I figured things would get better, and they did, but my peers still found ways to let me know that I was not part of their "clique." Thankfully, I had my older brother to protect me and make me feel better. I also met some of the best people in the world, I met people that today I consider family! They saw past my NF and saw the goofy, silly, sweet girl that I am ( that's how they describe me).

****** To Be continued******


PS
If anyone reads my blog, please let me know!! =) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

20 comments:

  1. I think you are an amazing person angela and i thank God for letting me have the chance to get to know you. All of this just highlight how strong and beautiful woman you have become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!!! =) You're the best!! =) I luv you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for making me appreciate little things in life and of curse those big onse.... Thank you for opening my eyes and making me realise whats really important in life... You should be so proud of your self... Being so strong and always beimg such a beautiful person inside and outside.... I hope that u know how much your storry and you as a person make such a differece and impact on others!!!!pls always do remember you are amazing beautiful strong women and i love you for all of that!!!your friend Sanela!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine I think you're one of the bravest and strongest persons I know! You have proven to you and to everyone that you can achieve anything you set your mind to! Because yor physical condition is no barrier! You've come a long way! Because you're unstoppable! I thank god for putting you in my life because have such an amazing friend is something to be grateful for! Is a blessing! I've learned so much from you! I want to congratulate you on this blo because I know you will touch many lifes as you've touche mine! You are beautiful in and out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami, you and Belkis were the first two people I was able to call 'friend' you and your sister hold a very special place in my heart! I love you very much!!!

      Delete
  5. My daughter Angie has nf1. I cried when read your blog. Because health problems Angie missed a lot of school, friends came and went, that hurt her. One of her most hurtful thing is her sister who seems to great joy out of being cruel, it doesn't seem to make a difference what I said or did. Angie at 19 will start high school at the school for deaf (caused by antibiotics) She's looking forward to being 4 hours from her tormentor (at least 5 days a week) . I hope she finds the happiest you have found. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading!!!Let you daughter know not to give up and that tomorrow brings a brighter day!!! I know it's not easy,and I know that giving up seems like the best option but it is not. If she ever needs to talk to someone let her know that she can reach me through here. =)

      Delete
  6. 42 vasAngela
    I have NF #1 50+ all over outside nad even inside my lungs on ileocecal valve and some lesions on my spine and ahuge plexi right upperleg that makes me fall alot.
    Like Ghostwriter use tosaywehave NF but it doesnothave us.I amblessed by yur spirit too nad aman bught my sub at subway cause Ihavea quiet gentle spirit toofeel blessed by that. And yesstilgetstrange loks strange questions toobut lok fwd togeting toknow yu too yuo sureare blessed heidi

    P.S my icon is myservice dog Melanie for my balance nad mobility too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for reading =) your dog Melanie is adorable!!! =)

      Delete
  7. No sabría como decirte lo orgullosa que estoy de haberte conocido y haber tenido la suerte de compratir un pedacito de mi vid contigo. Ni siquiera imagino por lo que has tenido que pasar y que aún asi, sigas siendo la chica fuerte, feliz y alocada que conocí. Un abrazo muy grande mi Nine linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mafalda!!!!
      gracias mujer!!! Un beso y abrazo muy grande pa' ti y todos. Los hecho de menos!!!!!

      Delete
  8. My son has NF. His name is John-Michael..and I blog about his journey..our journey at our blog.. www.inhonoroftheking.blogspot.com . He is one of the most compassionate and sharing people I know ..and he is only 8 1/2. He has had one big surgery to debulk a plexiform fibromas by his spine... he has a cyst inside his spinal cord...he has several fibromas.... However, he doesn't let it slow him down. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Angela! I'm happy to stumble upon this blog & I'm going to bookmark it. I am Kcat & I have both NF1 & NF2, though NF2 is more dominant. And because of NF, I can't walk, can't hear, has a poor vision, my left body is numb & immobile, my facial muscles won't move, and so on. I cannot do a lot of things but it's alright, I still have a lot more things that I CAN do. And most of all, because of NF, I am having a great time doing things I never imagined I CAN. :)

    I love reading your blog entries & I'm looking forward to reading more :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am envious of your strength. I can tell you that though I don't have NF. I am worse.. I have a broken spirit, am depressed and am emptier than ever. I only wish I had even an ounce of your personality... I admire and hope that I can be as beautiful as you one day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nine: leí tu blog completo y te quiero de decir que me conmoviste con tu relato: duro! Y te confieso que me alegra, a pesar de "enguarapárseme" el ojo, que lo único que no sentí fue lástima por ti, porque tienes la entereza de abrirte sin pretenciones y una belleza de persona como tu no merece este tipo de sentimientos que no sirven de nada. Me has llenado de valor. Gracias.
    Eres parte de mi familia y ahora que soy mamá y puedo imaginar como una película todo lo que has pasado, al igual que tus hermanos y papás.
    Todos tuvimos de niños episodios fuertes de rechazo, por lo que tu dices: porque los niños somos crueles, pero eso pasa cuando desde casa nos direccionan a no aceptar las diferencias. Lo mismo pasa con todos los "ismos" (racismos, clasismo, etc)

    Te quiero decir que te quiero mucho. Seguro no te acuerdas de mi, pero yo sí mucho de ti. No te veo desde que eras una pequeña niña de 5 años, y que pasaste una noche en mi apartamento en Bogotá con ANcry y que me hiciste un hermoso dibujo y miramos juntas la luna por la marquesina desde la cama. Ese día le dije a tu mamá que eras más dulce que un caramelo. Luego te fuiste con tu familia y no hemos vuelto a vernos. No hemos coincidido cuando has venido a Colombia. Pero recuerdo la dulzura de tu voz.

    Mira, estoy impresionada por el relato... pero mucho más deleitada por tu excelente redacción, pasión cuando escribes. HA sido una delicia leerte... Espero encontrar pronto otros episodios de tu vida. Estás en mi corazón prima querida. MAría Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. I happened to type Neurofibromatosis on Pinterest and you popped up. I to have had those same feelings and thoughts you express in your blog about this disease. I am almost 29 years old and I was diagnosed with NF1 around 5 years. I have shoved NF into this dark hole that I ignore until it pops up and I am forced to deal with it. I have lived my life in a lie, pretending I don't have NF. I am still fighting to accept that I have this "ugly" disease as well. Today, I just found out that my son has a tumor growing on his right optic nerve. I am praying and anxiously waiting the next 6-12 months to do a repeat MRI to determine if surgery is needed. I am blessed to say that it is not necessary to operate right now. Reading two of you entries re: NF has given me courage and strength to begin the journey of acceptance. I have to do it for myself and my son. I want to lead by example and embrace each day God has given us. Thanks. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! I greatly appreciate it! =) I hope you and your son keep healthy and stay positive. Keep in mind that NF does not have you, you have it and therefore you dominate it!! I know it is not always easy but do your best to stay positive!! Good Bless you and your family!!

      Delete
  13. Nine: I love u dearly! Youre an amazing friend with a kind spirit and beautiful soul and I am totally blessed to call u my friend and bestie. Its amazing how your words touch people and help them accept and overcome obstacles presented by NF. Please keep writing, its one of your many talents, you never know who is reading and how many people you are helping. Love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete