Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Challenges of driving with NF: A Rainy Day Story

On this day, the last day of August, I will share with you a rainy day story, since it has been not stopped raining since 5:00 am, and it does not look like it will stop raining anytime soon.

On rainy days, I like to stay inside the house, with a nice cup of tea, wrapped in a blanket, and entertaining myself with various sedentary activities like reading a book. However, sometimes I feel adventurous, and I go outside in the rain and get soaking wet as I wait for the bus to take me to my final destination: the University of South Florida.  You see, I am a 29-year-old woman living in Florida that does not drive.  You may ask yourself how that is possible, but it is not as though I do not want to drive, or that I do not know how to drive. I know how to drive, and I have driven.  However, I am not very confident behind the wheel.

When I took Drivers Ed. in high school, I had some difficulties and was not able to drive much and never took the final for my license. I did continue to drive with my dad, but then he left, and life got more complicated. I drove a few times with my brothers, but that never worked out because my confidence level never improved. My best friend drove with me a few times, and she was great, but she moved, and I just stopped driving altogether.

It seems that there has always been something preventing me from driving, or so I thought. The only person that has been stopping me from driving has been me! I know that now, I need and want to drive because it is important for my well being.

Thankfully, Joe has gotten me to drive and has helped me gain confidence in driving. He has also talked me through one of my scariest panic attacks ever over me getting behind the wheel. He has been motivating me to drive because he knows it is important.  Unfortunately, we have had some set backs because the car has not been working very well and my mom does not want me to drive her car unless it is in better conditions.

photo by, Hung Trug, taken from Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment