Sunday, March 27, 2022

Scared but Brave


 The hardest part of my recovery from surgery is not at the start but towards the end. When the stitches are gone, the swelling is minimal, and the pain is at its lowest; this is when the most challenging part of healing begins. My mental and emotional health is at its peak at the start, but I break down right when the finish line is in sight. 


I have to be honest; I do not like the reflection I see at this moment. And yes, I get it; I still have at least six months left until I see the final results of this surgery, but I am scared. In past surgeries, the swelling went down to reveal a new face. A face that is more aesthetically pleasing. 


However, this surgery has caused my face to be even more asymmetrical than before. Prior to surgery, I had a consultation with the PT/OT department in Moffitt. I learned that due to the type of surgery I was having, there was a possibility that I would develop lymphedema. Lymphedema is permanent. 



In the best-case scenario, I would not develop lymphedema, and worst-case scenario, the lymphedema could go from the right side of my neck and extend down to my arm. Additionally, due to the swelling and the impacted areas, I could have secondary effects like trouble swallowing, altered speech, and persistent weakness in my right arm. I have what my nurse recently called "minor lymphedema." 
Photo was taken 1-17-2022


I am two months into recovery, and although I see improvement in my physical appearance, I still have significant swelling. Again, I am aware that this last one has been the most invasive out of the 23 surgeries I have put my body through, but I cannot help but feel insecure with the final results, even though I am nowhere near the finish line. 


 





4 comments:

  1. You are so strong and brave, girl. Be patient with your body. It's working hard on healing. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am doing my best to remain positive. Thank you for reading =)

      Delete
  2. I just watched your sbsk interview. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete