|Cupid's Unde Run 2017, photo by: Angela C. Velilla|
Feeling sad or being depressed is something that does and can affect every single human on this planet. And so, since it is not related to NF, others may be more relatable with coping mechanisms for depression than with understanding how it is to live with NF.
My biggest bought of depression was caused by my fathers infidelity and soon after leaving the family home. It took me a very long time to pull myself out of that hole and even though I have not been that depressed in a really long time, it does take constant work to keep myself somewhat even-keeled. Now I am no expert but I would like to share with you a few things I do to keep myself emotionally healthy and positive. Please feel free to share your tricks on staying emotionally healthy and positive.
5 SELF CARE TECHNIQUES
1. Talk: talk to someone you trust. someone that will listen to the words not spoken. They may not necessarily be able to "fix it" but the simple fact that they are lending you their ears will suffice.
2. Laugh: Even though it may be hard, laughing will make feeling sad more bearable even if it is just briefly. Laughing may not cure your depression but it will allow you to feel "normal" again. So, surround yourself with people that know how to make you laugh.
3. Cry: It may sound counter intuitive but crying is very healing. When we cry we are able to release a lot more of what is weighing us down. That is why after having a good-hard cry we tend to fall asleep.
4. Sleep: Now this one is much more difficult because when we are sad or depressed we either tend to under sleep or over sleep. It is very important that we try to find a happy median. Too much or too little sleep can have catastrophic effects on the human body.
5. Be active: Walk,run, dance, swim, etc., Do any physical activity outside your normal routine. Now, I'll admit, I am not much of a gym gal, but I do take Ki-Bo ( my dog) on daily walks. Walking Ki-Bo not only helps me but is also good for him.
These are just five simple things that you can do to keep yourself emotionally healthy. Now, I know that we all do our own unique things that keep us above water so please share your ideas below.