Monday, February 4, 2019

Love, You!

I am fully aware that self-loathing is not exclusive to people living with NF or with any condition that society does not consider the standard of beauty. However, this, I did not learn until I was in my twenties and studying psychology in college.
As a teen, I would get annoyed when a friend would point out a "flaw"  or an aspect of their body they did not like because they did not have a disfigured face,  I did.  I would scuff every time someone complained about pimples or stretchmarks because those things seemed superficial to me.
I also used to think that people that complained about their appearance or had plastic surgery to enhance or reduce x body part were shallow and self-absorbed because in my mind they had no idea of what it was like to truly live with a disfigurement.
It wasn't until I was older that I understood that overall humans tend to be crappy at loving themselves. We are quick to judge and find faults at every turn. It's as if we are hard-wired to put ourselves down and leave it to others to compliment us; I think that it is very shitty and I am not going to allow myself to be mean and cruel any longer. So, I have decided to compliment my self every chance I get. Yes, it is hard to retrain my brain, but I am doing it because the alternative is not an option.  I invite you to do the same, give yourself at least one compliment every day before you leave your house in the morning.
We all have aspects of ourselves that we do not like, and that is entirely okay. If having plastic surgery makes you more comfortable in your skin, then, by all means, go for it, you have my full support. What is not okay is to continuously put yourself down and criticize your body for the scars pimples left or for having more stretchmarks.
You are beautiful, every single aspect of yourself is perfect!
I challenge you to email me at lifewithnf@gmail.com your favorite attributes. Below, I have listed some of my favorite attributes in no particular order!
  1. My long, lean legs, they are half my body
  2. My petite frame, being 5’2” is awesome
  3. My semi-wavy brown hair, I have tons of it
  4. My accent!! I’m so proud of it!
  5. My smile! Even though it’s crooked
  6. My laugh, I sometimes snort
Your turn!





    1 comment:

    1. Some of the most beautiful people have the ugliest insides. It's so important to have a beautiful soul!

      ReplyDelete